Monday, September 03, 2007

Eating Grass

Okay, this is made with an intention of pure fun. Seriously. Yes, I'm poking fun at my dear, sweet husband, but it's stuff that makes me totally laugh out loud, and if you knew me, you'd know that was saying something. Some people sprinkle all their writing with "LOL" and I would if I were but I just rarely even chuckle.

Without further ado, here are some gems.

But I Eat Grass
My husband is not a native speaker of English. And even if he were, he still might get some stuff wrong. I know when I was a girl, it wasn't until I was around 8 or 9 that I realized the word was "vacation", not "bacation". And even then, it was only because I saw it in writing. And "naive" was "nave" to me when I was reading until I was perhaps 18 years old. Sure, I knew the spoken word, but I never connected the two.

So for my husband, it didn't cause him any worry when he heard people say, "but I eat grass". He wondered a bit what those crazy people were doing eating grass, but he just chalked it up to another crazy thing English speakers say. Well, it turns out that what they were actually saying was - can you guess? - "but I digress". Said quickly, I guess it flowed to his ear as "but I eat grass" and somehow he was able to justify that. This has led to an in-joke of "there he goes, eating grass". I guess every couple has their in-jokes. We have some fun ones!

Here are a few others:
obeast (obese)
high strong (high strung)

1 comment:

Telika said...

That's funny! I never heard eating grass before though My daughter is learning spanish in the first grade I'm glad we are becoming a more unified world. when someone says something you don't understand you should teach them something in your native language